It can be simple and rewarding to rescue a bench which has seen better days. Follow this guide for instructions on how to rescue a wreck such as this.
- To prepare the bench, abrade the metal ends with a wire brush or coarse sandpaper, removing any flaking paint or rust. If the wooden slats are also in poor condition, sand them back to sound wood.
- Wash any dust, grease and dirt from the bench using water and a mild detergent. When washing the wooden slats, take care not to get them too wet.
- If the bench is made from bare zinc, aluminium or galvanised metal use Hammerite Direct to Galvanised Metal Paint. Otherwise use Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint in Smooth finish.
- Ensure the wooden slats are protected from any metal paint using newspaper and masking tape.
- Stir the paint thoroughly with a stirring stick before applying with a good quality brush.
- Begin with one thin layer and leave to dry for the time specified on back of tin before applying a second coat if needed.