Frequently asked questions
- Can I mix different colours of Hammerite Paint?
- Mixing Hammerite Paints is not recommended.
- Can I mix Hammerite Paint with other types of paint?
- Hammerite Paints cannot be mixed with any other type of paint.
- Can I re-use Hammerite Paint?
- Hammerite Paint can be re-used up to 2 years after first opening the tin. If you wish to keep the paint that you have not used, then replace the original lid firmly back on the Hammerite can and store in a dry well ventilated area away from a heat source.
- How do I avoid paint sagging?
- Apply several thin coats. If applying to a smooth vertical metal surface, abrade the surface with a side to side action using a coarse sandpaper.
- How do I ensure consistent colour?
- Stir the Hammerite Paint thoroughly before use and occasionally whilst painting.
- How do I paint directly onto a rusty metal surface?
- Hammerite Paint is specially formulated to be applied directly onto rusty metal with minimal surface preparation. Simply remove any loose rust with a wire brush or coarse sandpaper and clean the surface with brush cleaner & thinners and allow time to dry. Then apply Hammerite Paint directly onto the rusty metal surface. No primer, no undercoat needed.
- How do I paint Hammerite onto a painted surface?
- Paint a small test patch of Hammerite Paint onto the painted surface and leave it to dry for an hour. If you notice any defects to the painted surface under the test patch, remove all the paint from surface with paint remover, before painting the surface with Hammerite Paint.
- How do I paint on heavily rusted metal surfaces?
- Remove all loose rust with a wire brush or coarse sandpaper and then clean the surface with brush cleaner & thinners. For best results apply Hammerite No.1 Rust Beater before painting with Hammerite Paint.
- How do I use Hammerite in coastal areas?
- Remove all salt from the metal surface, before painting, by thoroughly washing the surface with clean water and allow time to dry before applying Hammerite Direct to Rust.
Couldn't find the answer you were looking for? Please contact us.